The creation of special areas to be inhabited by Jews, and the restriction of the Jews
with regard to residence and trading is nothing new in the history of the East.
Such measures were first taken far back in the Middle Ages; they could be observed
as recently as during the last few centuries. These restrictions were imposed with the
intention of protecting the Aryan population against the Jews.
Identical considerations led us as early as February 1940 to conceive the project of
creating a Jewish residential district in Warsaw. The initial intention was to establish as the
ghetto that part of the City of Warsaw which has the Vistula as its Eastern frontier.
The particular situation on prevailing in Warsaw seemed at first to frustrate this plan.
It was moreover opposed by several authorities particularly by the City Administration.
They pointed in particular that disturbances in industry and trade would ensue if a ghetto
was founded in Warsaw, and that it would be impossible to provide the Jews with food
if they were assembled in a closed area.
At a conference held in March 1940, it was decided to postpone the plan of creating
a ghetto for the time being, owing to the above objections. At the same time a plan was
considered to declare the District of Lublin the collecting area for all Jews within the
Generalgouvernement, especially for the evacuated or fugitive Jews arriving from the
Reich. But as early as April 1940, the Higher SS- and Police Leader East, Cracow,
issued a declaration that there was no intention of assembling the Jews within the Lublin
District. In the meantime, the Jews had increasingly taken to crossing the frontiers
without permission and illegally. This noted especially at the limits of the Districts
of Lowicz and Skierniewice.