It was separated from the rest of the city by partition and other walls and by walling-up of
thoroughfares, windows, doors, open spaces, etc.
It was administered by the Jewish Board of Elders, who received their instructions from the
Commissioner for the Ghetto, who was immediately subordinated to the governor. The Jews were
granted self-administration in which the German supervising authorities intervened only where
German interest were touched. In order to enable the Jewish Board of Elder to execute its orders,
a Jewish Police force was set up, identified by special armbands and a special beret and armed with
rubber truncheons. This Jewish Police force was charged with maintaining order and security within the
ghetto and was subordinated to the German and Polish Police.
It soon became clear, however, that not all dangers had been removed by this confining the Jews
to one place. Security considerations required removing the Jews from the city of Warsaw altogether.
The first large resettlement action took place in the period from 22 July to 3 October 1942. In this
action 310,322 Jews were removed. In January 1943 a second resettlement action was carried out
by which altogether 6,500 Jews were affected.
When the Reichsführer-SS visited Warsaw in January 1943 he ordered the SS and Police
Leader for the District of Warsaw to transfer to Lublin the armament factories and other enterprises
of military importance which were installed within the ghetto including their personnel and machines.
The execution of this transfer order proved to be very difficult, since the managers as well as the
Jews resisted in every possible way. The SS and Police Leader thereupon decided ...